Infant Jesus Anglo-Indian Higher Secondary School, Tangasseri
On January 8, 1940, Bishop Jerome Fernandez founded Infant Jesus Anglo-Indian High School, Tangasseri to cater for the educational and pastoral needs of the boys of the Anglo-Indian community, the predominant community of the area at that time. The girls of Tangasseri were already well taken care of by Mount Carmel Convent, established as early as 1885.
Mrs. Maryan Netto headed the school of 15 students and another teacher. From this modest beginning, Infant Jesus High (IJH) has spawned into a student body of about 3,500 and 110 staff, today. Its motto “Ora et labora” (Pray and Work) captures its philosophy. The school sits on a campus of six acres. Its intake is from Lower KG to Standard XII to Plus 2. Additionally IJH has its own Boarding Section. In 2003 IJH entered a new era – it became co-educational. The School is affiliated to the Council for the Schools Certificate Exam, New Delhi.
Academically, IJH challenges its students. It has the reputation of being top ranked in the District. Its Science and Computer Lab facilities are regularly extended and upgraded, to meet the demands of modern education. The Language Lab emphasizes pronunciation and intonation in spoken English.
Competition, teamwork and leadership are fostered through the House system. There are three Houses – Boscos, Berchmans and Brittos. Special activity clubs such as Science, Nature, Quiz, Social Work, Aged Care, National Awareness, etc. provide outlets for individual interests and development, and wider community involvement. IJH has a rich history of participation and success in Sport and Athletics. They have been District Champions for the past 18 years in Athletics. Further, IJH anchors the State ICSE teams at the National Athletics meets. Above all, IJH can lay claim to Olympic athletes Errol de Classe and Suresh Babu.
We are indeed proud of Infant Jesus Anglo-Indian Higher Secondary School for its part in moulding its boys into men. We wish the school every success in continuing the work of our 1940 pioneers.